[Beowulf] Looking for model numbers of a 10/100/1000 switch that has external phy's

Bill Ansell bansell at comcast.net
Thu Sep 7 08:46:23 EDT 2006

Hi all, 

Might sound like a odd request, but I am looking for a reasonable priced (I
will even buy used if I know model numbers) 10/100/1000 switch that uses
external phy's.. I need to tap off the RD valid lines to monitor received
packets on a oscilloscope. (timing, jitter ect..)

I have a cheap switch I bought at best buy but the problem is, out of the
box if I run the switch (one in, one out port) over night.. I get packet
loss due to CRC's.. My bet is the physical layer on this cheap switch does
not meet 802.3 requirements. I run the same PC's through a higher end Cisco
and get no packet loss.

It's a project I am doing, so I can't hack up a Cisco switch :) looking for
a linksys/netgear/Dlink model etc...  Everyone I buy now has the integrated
phy/mack/switch chips.

Any leads on model numbers of product that may have the external phys is
greatly appreciated. 

-Bill Ansell

Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org
To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf

More information about the Beowulf mailing list