[Beowulf] Liinpack benchmark
rbala at hclinsys.com
Fri Nov 11 01:42:25 EST 2005
Jakob Oestergaard wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 07:09:39PM +0300, Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:
>>In message from balamurugan <rbala at hclinsys.com> (Mon, 31 Oct 2005
>>>Iam trying to benchmark a Xeon processor (Dual core) machine with
>>>linpack (n=100) fortran code on Red Hat linux AS 4. The result gives
>>>zero values for some calls. The details in the internet say that it
>>>may be due to low resolution of the timing function. Can you help me
>>>tuning the resolution of second function.
>>You should use gettimeofday()- based or RDTSC-based timer.
>Is the TSC synced between the cores on the Xeon? If not, then simple
>rdtsc based timing is going to be unreliable. (It's possible of course,
>with many repeated tests and outlier elimination to disregard the tests
>where the thread switched core).
>I know the TSC isn't synced between cores on dual core Opteron, it's not
>synced on plain SMP (multiple sigle-core processors) and given that the
>dual core Xeon is pretty much just two Xeons shoe-horned into one
>package, I doubt it would be synced there. (But, as always, would love
>to be corrected, should I be wrong :)
>gettimeofday() is definitely a very good suggestion.
I had used the gettimeofday() function for the benchmark and is working
well with a C code where in the gettimeofday() function and its calling
function are in the same file or gettimeofday() function is included as
a preprocessor directive. But when i tried to link the same C code with
the fortran code, i was not successful. I am not sure what is wrong with
the steps that i follow.
1. I have written a "C" code mysecond.c
# include <stdio.h>
# include <sys/time.h>
# include <math.h>
extern double end;
struct timeval tv;
times = tv.tv_sec;
times = tv.tv_usec;
end=((times*1.e6) + times);
2. I have compiled it to create a "mysecond.o" file.
3. I have changed all the second call in the fortran file to mysecond
4. I compiled the fortran file (double100.f) with the c object file to
create an executable
f77 -O3 double100.f mysecond.o
5. There was no errors or warnings during compilation and the executable
ran successfully, but the result was not the one expected to be produced
and had negative values. I understand from analysis that the there could
be a problem in linking the c file and the fortran code.
6. Is there any way to get around this problem.
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org
To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf
More information about the Beowulf