[Beowulf] Google greywater cooling

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Wed Mar 21 20:45:46 EDT 2012

On 03/21/2012 10:11 AM, Hearns, John wrote:
> Flagging up yet another Register article I’m afraid, but it is interesting
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/20/google_greywater_data_center_cooling/

Certainly interesting.  I missed this one in my El Reg RSS.  Does anyone
have references on a (modern) picture of what their servers look like?
In other words, they are particularly vague in the article and the
associated video on how they actually use this water to do the cooling.
  I assume it is not "real" water cooling, but utilizing that water in
their air conditioning units somehow.  I cannot imagine they use the
water to re-humidify their server rooms, since rooms smelling of piss
and chlorine probably isn't appreciated by any but the most green of
environmentalists.

Best,

ellis