Intel PRO/1000CT Gigabit ethernet with CSA

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Mon Jul 23 12:44:16 EDT 2012

According to Daniel Pfenniger

> For a small experimental cluster (24 dual Xeon nodes)
> we decided to use InfiniBand technology, which from specs is
> 4 times faster (8Gb/s), 1.5 lower latency (~5musec) than
> Myrinet for approximately the same cost/port.
  Could you pls compare them a bit more detailed ?
Infiniband card costs (as I heard) about $1000-, (HCA-Net from
FabricNetworks, former InfiniSwitch ?), what is close to Myrinet.
But what is about switches (I heard about high prices) ?

In particular, I'm interesting in very small switches;
FabricNetworks produce 8-port 800-series switch, but I don't
know about prices. May be there is 6 or 4 port switches ?

BTW, is it possible to connect pair of nodes by means of
"cross-over" cable (as in Ethernet), i.e. w/o switch ?

Yours
Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow