Opteron (x86-64) compute farms/clusters?

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Mon Jul 23 12:44:16 EDT 2012

According to Thomas Alrutz

> I just made some benchmarks on a Opteron 240 (1.4 GHz) node running with
> Suse/United Linux Enterprise edition.
> I have sucessfully compiled mpich-1.2.4 in 64 bit without any problems
> (./configure -device=ch_p4 -commtype=shared). The default compiler is
> the gcc-3.2.2 (maybe a Suse patch) and is set to 64Bit, the Portland
> (5.0beta) compiler didn't worked at all !
>
> I tried our CFD-code (TAU) to run 3 aerodynamik configurations on this
> machine with both CPUs and the results are better then estimated.
> We achieved in full multigrid (5 cycles, 1 equation turbulence model) a
> efficiency of about 97%, 92% and 101 % for the second CPU.
> Those results are much better as the results we get on the Intel Xeons
> (around 50%).
   It looks that this results are predictable: Xeon CPUs require high
memory bandwidth, but both CPUs share common system bus. Opteron CPUs
have own memory buses and scale in this sense excellent. Better SPECrate
results for Opteron (i.e. work on a mix of tasks) confirm (in particular)
this features. CFD codes, I beleive, require high memory throughput ...

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow