cluster of AOD Opteron

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at
Mon Jul 23 12:44:16 EDT 2012

According to Serguei Patchkovskii
> for Opteron-
> > based servers is high, and price/performance ratio in comparison
> > w/Xeon is not clear.
> Once you start populating your systems with "interesting" amounts of memory
> (i.e. anything above 2Gbytes), the price difference between dual Opterons
> and
> dual Xeons is really in the noise - at least at the places we buy. If your
> suppliers
> charge you a lot more for Opterons, may be you should look for another
> source?
  There is currently not "too wide" choice of possible sources
of dual Opteron systems now in Russia :-) I agree that high memory
price (for DIMMs from 1 GB, but the price will decrease) lower the
percent of differences in total price, but if you use 512MB DIMMs
for complectation, price difference is essential. Pls sorry: I assume,
that in general the prices here in Russia are similar to other countries,
but I didn't check just now.

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry