[OT] Maximum performance on single processor ?

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Mon Jul 23 12:44:16 EDT 2012

According to Simon Hogg

> At 14:44 20/06/03 +0200, Marc Baaden wrote:
> >I have an existing application which is part of a project. I have
> >the source code. It is Fortran. It *can* be parallelized, but we
> >would rather spend our time on the other parts of the project
> >which need to be written from scratch *first*.
> >
> >The application is to run in real time, that is the user does something
> >and as a function of user input and the calculation with the fortran
> >program that I described, there is a correponding feedback to the
> >user on the screen (and in some Virtual Reality equipment).
> >
> >Right now, even on simple test cases, the "response time" (eg calculation
> >time for a single step) of our program is on the order of the second.
> >(this is for an athlon MP 2600+)
> >We need to get that down to a fraction of seconds, best milli-seconds,
> >in order to be usable in real time. (makes it a factor of roughly 1000)
> >
> >As I said the code can indeed be parallelized - maybe even simply cleaned
> >up in some parts - but unfortunately there remains very much other important
> >stuff to do. So we'd rather spend some money on a really fast CPU and not
> >touch the code at the moment.
> >
> >So my question was more, what is the fastest CPU I can get for $20000
> >at the moment (without explicitly parallelizing, hyperthreading or
> >vectorizing my code).
>
> I'm sure some other people will give 'better' answers, but from having a
> look at your web pages, I would be tempted to go down the route of
> second-hand SGI equipment.
>
> For example (and no, I don't know how the performance stacks up, I'm
> looking partly at a general bio-informatics / SGI link if that makes sense)
> I can see for sale an Origin 2000 Quad 500MHz / 4GB RAM for UKP 15,725.
  W/o parallelization it looks as bad choice: any CPU will be
more slow than the same Opteron or P4. If FP performance is important,
Power4+ or Itanium 2 (or, more exactly, Madison one month later)
may be the best choice.  And, at least, optimize your program as
possible :-)

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow