cluster of AOD Opteron (Stefano)

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at
Mon Jul 23 12:44:16 EDT 2012

According to moor007 at
> I just received my hardware yesterday for my opteron cluster.  My tech will
> start putting it together today or tomorrow.  I am building a 16 CPU cluster
> w/ the 240 processor onboard the Tyan 2880.  I will be using the 2D wulfkit
> running SuSE enterprise server and Portland Group Server for the Opteron.  I
> am hoping it will be fast.  Of course, that is relative.  Anyway, I said all
> that to say that I will begin posting performance benchmarks as they become
> available.
We compared Opteron/1.6 w/dual DDR266 CL2.5 and Athlon MP 1800+ w/close
frequency (1533 MHz) and DDR266 also. Speedup for Gamess-US (ifc 7.1,
opt for P4) and for binary G98 version (pgf77, optimized for PIII)
on a set of different computational methods (in the sense of cache
localization, memory throughput requirements etc) is about 1.5-1.9.

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry