[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Mon Jul 23 12:44:16 EDT 2012

According to Keith D. Underwood
> You should actually look at those numbers.  See here:
>
> http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/res2002q4/cpu2000-20021119-01859.html
>
> The only way you get graphs like that is when a couple of your
> benchmarks actually fit in cache.  Benchmarks running from cache are not
> terribly representative of most real applications.

  Sorry, I'm not familiar w/details of cache behaviour of separate
tests from SPECfp2000: are you sure that tests "working sizes"
fit to 3 MB L2 but will not fit (i.e. gives a lot of
cache misses) in 1 MB on Xeon for example ? (I don't say even
about more large L3 cache in Power4 or about 1.75 MB in Alpha 21364
or 1.5 MB (D-cache) in PA-8700).

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow