[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Mon Jul 23 12:44:16 EDT 2012

According to Duraid Madina
> David,
> 	Itanium 2 isn't even competitive with other offerings from your own
> company. Compare:
> David Mosberger wrote:
> > Here is one real price point for an Itanium 2 workstation:
> >
> > 	- hp workstation zx2000 (Linux software enablement kit)
> > 	-  Intel? Itanium 2 900MHz Processor with 1.5MB on-chip L3 cache
> > 	- $3,298
>
> with:
> 	- HP server rp2430
> 	- 1xHP PA-8700 650MHz CPU with 2.25MB on-chip L1 cache
> 	- $1,095
> 	I bought one of these, and it is excellent (if a little loud. ;) I
> would happily buy a bare-bones Itanium 2 system at the same price.
   Taking into account that Itanium 2 has much more high performance,
the price from HP looks reasonable. Moreover, I found that HP prices
for Itanium 2 computers are lower than the prices for Itanium 2 servers
manufactured by other "non-brand" companies ! So we should look to
HP prices as to the best "indicator" of prices (I don't work for
HP :-) ). It must be some "pressure" from users to computer manufacturers,
they must understand that it exist now more cheap alternatives.

> This
> doesn't seem to like it's going to be possible any time soon. In less
> than two weeks, I will be able to buy an Opteron system that runs a
> great deal faster at the same price.
   Yes, Opteron may give good alternative, but I'm not sure
that price/performance ratio for Opteron servers will be better
than for P4 Xeon dual servers. Only if you need badly 64-bit
processor ...

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow