Athlon MP vs Athlon XP

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at
Mon Jul 23 12:44:16 EDT 2012

    Dear colleagues,

I think about buying of Tyan S2460 motherboards for Beowulf.
According the data I have, Athlon XP (Palomino core) microprocessors
can work successfully w/this mobos.

But there is also Athlon MP microprocessors w/same Palomino core
w/same OPGA package w/same voltages and w/same frequencies beginning
from 1333 (1500+). They costs, as I understand, higher than corresponding
MP models.

Sorry, what is the difference between MP and XP chips ? Both,
if my source was correct, supports cache coherence.

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry