[Beowulf] Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jan 23 16:19:34 EST 2012

> http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-01-23/intel_to_buy_qlogic_s_infiniband_business.html

wonder what Intel's thinking - could do some very interesting stuff,
but it would take a bit of charisma.  QPI-over-IB anyone?

I'm not crazy about Intel being a vertically-integrated HPC supplier
(chips, systems, interconnect, mpi, compilers - I guess they still
don't have their own scheduler or sexy cloud branding ;)

the world is a better place when each level has internal competition
based on useful, open (free), multi-implementation standards.