[Beowulf] Users abusing screen

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 28 14:04:02 EDT 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Mark Hahn wrote:

> if someone persisted in stealing cycles, we'd lock their account.

Exactly.  Or visit them with a sucker rod.  Or have a department chair
have a "talk" with them.

Human to human interactions and controls work better than installing
complex tools or automated constraints.  Sure, sucker rods are a joke
and no we don't actually bop users on the head or the desk or whomp them
upside the head with a manual, but in most cases a stern talking to
followed by locking their account unless/until they formally agree to
change their ways is more than sufficient.

     rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu