[Beowulf] Users abusing screen

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Fri Oct 21 15:14:01 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 09:10:18AM -0400, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> My opinion is these these are shared resources, and if you aren't
> interactively using them, you should log out to free up resources for
> others.

"running under screen" != "non-interactive".

> I would like to remove screen from my environment entirely to prevent
> this. My fellow sysadmins here agree. I'm expecting massive backlash
> from the users.

No shit.  If you allow users to login at all, then (IMNSHO) removing
screen is insane.  That's not a solution to your problem, that's
creating a totally new problem and pretending it's a solution.

I essentially always use screen whenever I ssh to any Linux box for
any reason.  If my sysadmin arbitrarily disabled screen because some
other user was doing something dumb, I'd be pretty upset too.
(Annoyed enough to maybe just build screen myself on that box.)

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/