[Beowulf] thunderbolt?

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 25 11:20:20 EST 2011

> interesting, if it works like that.   If not, well hey, it's a fast adapter
> bus, and faster data transfer is good, even if just to peripherals.

Peripherals which probably can't operate at 1.2GB/s (provided you don't
have a SAN in your home).

---
This *is* the beowulf list.. I wouldn't make many assumptions about the computational horsepower at people's abodes...

A peripheral that most people have in their home with that kind of data rate is a DVI (or HDMI) interface to their TV.  The Clock pair runs at 25-165MHz, RGB Data on 3 pairs at 10 times that rate.  24bits/pixel at a rate high enough to display 60 frames sec at 2.5 megapixel/frame.

I think it works out to around 4Gbps...