[Beowulf] IBM's Watson on Jeopardy tonight

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Feb 18 07:06:48 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:21:46AM +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> What about the scaled down versions of watson in the cars that take part
> in the darpa challenge. that basically drive themselves? aren't those a

Realtime navigation with machine vision is a considerably harder
problem than DeepQA.

> lot like humans since they are taking in information from many sensors.
> If AI is used i think we possibly could have a human brain in respect to
> driving a car.

Operating in the text domain is entirely useless in the context
of driving a car. It's one of the classic reasons why we're
as far removed from human-machine equivalence: isolated capability
peaks do not a landscape make.