[Beowulf] Anybody using Redhat HPC Solution in their Beowulf

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 05:18:56 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 1:00 AM, Ellis H. Wilson III
<ellis at runnersroll.com> wrote:
> Also, I would argue if a company is selling you an HPC solution, it's
> either:
> 1. A true Beowulf in terms of using COTS hardware, in which case you are
> likely getting less than your money is worth or

Well, depends on how you value your time and the required expertise to
put all those COTS and OSS pieces together to make them run smoothly
and efficiently.
Most scientists and HPC systems users are not professional sysadmins
(which is good, they have a job to do), and the value of trained,
experienced, skilled individuals who can put together a reliable and
useful HPC system is sometimes overlooked (ie. undervalued).

I agree with your later statement, though:

> I personally don't think the "market for cluster vendors" is [...]
> the Beowulf list.

Cheers,
--
Kilian