[Beowulf] Anybody using Redhat HPC Solution in their Beowulf

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri Oct 22 18:26:11 EDT 2010

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 at 9:30am, Hearns, John wrote

>> Hello List,
>> My University is going for a new HPC System. I was using Rocks +
> CentOS
>> until now but someone suggested to use Redhat HPC Solution with the
> new
>> system.
>
> Please, please don't "roll your own" system (pun intended).
> There are lots of companies out there who will provide you with a high
> quality, supported
> Beowulf cluster. Heck - some of them are respected controbutors to this
> list!

IMO, in the right set of circumstances there's absolutely nothing wrong
with rolling your own cluster.  For example, say you aleady have the
expertise in house or are budgeting a FTE into the cluster costs (not to
mention "free" undergrad or grad student labor).  In those cases, why pay
extra for integration you can do yourself?  There's certainly a market for
cluster vendors, but there's also a place for DIY.

--
Joshua "of course, I could be biased" Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin