[Beowulf] Broadcast - not for HPC - or is it?

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 5 17:58:28 EDT 2010

PAPERS was pretty neat, but these days, there are fewer motherboards with a parallel port, and even fewer with a "well behaved" parallel port suitable for PAPERing..

You'd also have a tough time getting latencies down in the sub microsecond range, since the parallel port is fundamentally intended to talk to a "Centronics" printer interface, with 1 microsecond setup, 5 microsecond strobe, and 1 microsecond hold time, as I recall.  (Plenty fast running to that line printer at 400 characters/second, eh?)  The EPP and/or ECP found in more modern equipment runs at maybe a megatransfer/second.  You're still limited by the equivalent of LS244 and LS374 kinds of speeds and loads.