[Beowulf] dollars-per-teraflop : any lists like the Top500?

Bill Rankin Bill.Rankin at sas.com
Fri Jul 2 10:37:23 EDT 2010

> > This thread brings to mind the punch line from the second of the SNL
> > "Citiwide Change Bank" ads.  Here is a link to the transcript:
> >
> >   http://snltranscripts.jt.org/88/88achangebank2.phtml

Thank you, now my keyboard is covered in coffee. ;-)

> Hmmmm.
> I'd just returned from a business trip to London, and all the cash I
> had was a five-pound note.
> Citiwide wasn't able to convert it to dollars, but they did give me
> four guineas, two crowns, four shillings, and ten pence.
> I make that 479.17pence decimal in exchange for five pounds (500p).
> Yup, that's how Citibank make their money

Well John, that's American math for you.  I blame our educational system.

(You would have to go add that up, wouldn't you ;-).

Going completely off topic, most US banks will not convert anything other than paper currency and I have a baggie full of Euro and Pound coinage to show for it.  So the fact that "Citiwide" converted the note to coins would be another win for them.

Have a good holiday weekend, for those of us on this side of the pond(*).  To everyone else, have a nice normal weekend.

(*) and north of Mexico and south of Canada, unless of course you are in Alaska or Hawaii.