[Beowulf] Re: Gridengine and bash + Modules

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Jan 21 11:51:45 EST 2010

I saw this late after reuti referred to it on the SGE list where it was
originally raised, and I'm not sure I've got the whole thread.

Could someone explain what the problem actually is with SGE and modules,
if there really is one?  I think there isn't.

As far as I (and reuti?) can tell, there's no general problem with `qsub
-V' with loaded modules (which is probably natural for command-line
submission and what I typically do), or with explicitly loading modules
in a job script (which isn't affected by communication within SGE
anyway).

There is a general problem (and corresponding SGE bug report) with
exported shell variables or function definitions with multi-line values,
but modules doesn't export the function definition, and its body could
be trivially re-written as a simple command (eliding `{...;}') if
necessary.