[Beowulf] hardware RAID versus mdadm versus LVM-striping

Richard Chang rchang.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 00:29:52 EST 2010

Joe Landman wrote:

> Its a software RAID implementation pretending to be a hardware RAID
> implementation.  They are rarely if ever as good as MD.  Many of them
> in Linux will invoke dm (the "other" RAID engine) as dm has "support"
> for fake-raid.  Note that we have lost data (multiple times) with
> dm+fake-raid in testing, so we don't recommend its use in important
> machines (ones which you can't afford to lose).  This could be due to
> bad drivers for the chips in question, but we aren't taking chances.

Hello Joe,
I would like to know specifically what models of LSI boxes are software
RAID implementation pretending to be a hardware RAID implementation. I
have a few LSI boxes where I work, and your post made me think if they
really are Hardware RAID implementation.

I have the LSI 2822(old), LSI 4900 & also LSI 7900 controllers based
storage.

How do we differentiate between the software and hardware RAID
implementations. ANY visual difference?, are they identifiable?.

Richard.