[Beowulf] top500 clusters using

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Wed Feb 3 14:11:10 EST 2010

Last top500 lists contain a set of sites which are not from HPC world.
I understand that there may be parallelized applications which may use
whole cluster for one task, but this task isn't floating-point
oriented.

But (in top500) there is a set of "unnamed" sites like "IT service
provider" etc. IMHO they may use clusters for Web-hosting etc, where
may be load balancing is used. I.e. it's not "supercomputer" (I means
computer, all CPUs/cores of which may be used for solving of one
task).

Am I right - or they really work w/applications, which may involve
whole cluster for one task solving ?

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Computer Assistance to Chemical Research Center
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry RAS
Moscow