[Beowulf] AMD 6100 vs Intel 5600

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Apr 2 00:48:54 EDT 2010

>> While for my own selfish reasons I'm happy AMD may have some chance at
>> a comeback, but...  I caution everyone to please ignore SPEC* as any
>> indicator of performance..
>
> The non-profit Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation and volunteers
> who work for it (including me) would be pretty dismayed that anyone
> believes that it has no relevance to performance evaluation.

SPEC self-limits its relevance by refusing to recognize that it should
be open-source.  being open-hostile means that it has very limited numbers
of data points, very minimalistic UI (let alone data mining tools),
and perhaps most importantly, slow adaptation to changes in how machines
are used (memory footprint, etc).