[Beowulf] recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room: full cluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Beat Rubischon beat at 0x1b.ch
Wed Sep 30 10:39:14 EDT 2009

Hello!

Quoting <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> (30.09.09 16:19):

> Yes, but the tiny road is still useable by the emergency services when
> there's been a pileup on the main cariageway, and there are wreckage
> and bodies everywhere!

I allready saw a lot of Beowulfs where the management network is so rarely
used that nobody detects errors. When an emergencie arrives, the operators
struggles over the screwed up switches and unplugged cables.

So one vote for shared nic. Using Intel boards, this works well since Summer
2006 (Woodcrest, S5000 chipsets), other platforms started to be usable
during 2008/2009. Older boards have usually BMCs which are too old to be
really stable.

But as always: YMMV.

Beat

--