[Beowulf] cables all over the floor

Huw Lynes lynesh at Cardiff.ac.uk
Wed Sep 30 06:34:46 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 08:30 +0200, Beat Rubischon wrote:
> Hello!
>

> One of the best solutions I saw so far was a KVM drawer in one rack with a
> small KVM switch and a single, long cable per rack. Open the rack, attach
> the cable and you're done. Moving a cart through a typical datacenter with
> cables, boxes and other crap on the floor is usually a mess.

...counts to 10....

It sounds like these "typical" datacentres might benefit from an
investment in cable management. Really expensive items like cable ties
and labels cost less than KVMs. And then maybe some shelving to store
all that "crap all over the floor".

Thanks,
Huw

--
Huw Lynes                       | Advanced Research Computing
HEC Sysadmin                    | Cardiff University
                                | Redwood Building,
Tel: +44 (0) 29208 70626        | King Edward VII Avenue, CF10 3NB