[Beowulf] What is best OS for GRID or clusters?

Joachim Worringen worringen at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 26 14:55:13 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Jeremy Baker <jellogum at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any significant reason to use SOLARIS over a Linux distro for development
> of software?

Yes, dtrace, documentation, interface stability, quality of community and
many things more. I've worked on both platforms a lot, and dtrace alone can
save you days when debugging and analysing software, no matter if kernel or
userspace.

> Does the same C/C++ file compile well on both systems? If there are
> differences where can I find suggested reading material on the topic?

Which topic exactly? "Software development" is pretty wide a topic. But just
to give you something: I recently bought "The Developer's Edge" and enjoyed
it very much (see http://my.safaribooksonline.com/0595352510).

 Joachim