[Beowulf] Re: What is best OS for GRID or clusters?

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Sep 28 13:16:42 EDT 2009

On 28 Sep 2009, at 4:28 pm, Stuart Barkley wrote:

>> EROS (Extremely Reliable Operating System)
>>      http://www.eros-os.org/eros.html
> Looks like abandonware to me.  There appears to have been no activity
> for well over 5 years.  If I don't see any activity on a status page
> for over 2 years then I assume no one is caring for the code.
> Sometimes it is just mature code, but I expect that there should be
> some occasional updates.
> On the other hand, frequent updates (or never ending beta cycles)
> indicates immature code that I'm hesitant to put into production use.

It sounds like "I've completed my PhD now" code maintenance, to me.  :-)

I wrote a piece of software like that.  In my case, it wasn't the
basis of my thesis, rather it was a distraction from my PhD studies.
But all the same, once my PhD was completed, I never really worked on
that piece of software much again...