[Beowulf] How do I work around this patent?

Jeremy Baker jellogum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 15:01:53 EDT 2009

I joined this community many years ago to learn about GRID computing when I
was studying biology and the Linux file system, with future goals to write
interesting open source programs. It's the future and I just hit a wall in
the design process of writing code for my study.  This problem is related to
the boring world of business and IP patents. I like patents, but lately I

RE: "...Worlds.com filed a lawsuit Dec. 24 against NCSoft in the U.S.
District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, Tyler Division, for
violating patent 7181690. The patent is described as a method for enabling
users to interact in a virtual space through avatars."

Online read on patents:

Can someone help me to better understand how these patents interact with the
open source bazaar method of programing, Linux, the law, GIS systems with
meta data that is essentially 3-D access for a user's avatar, etc? I am
having flow chart issues that are not flowing... and I am now back to the
world of research (patents) when I would rather be writing and compiling

Jeremy Baker
PO 297
Johnson, VT