[Beowulf] Re: switching capacity terminology confusion

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 17 10:47:56 EDT 2009

> the best answer I get is "Cisco is the market leader in switches".
> They won't show me which of their parameters make a Cisco switch
> better than the rest.

well, one parameter is "market share".  another is "brand".
cisco owners will also often advocate benchmarking based on the
"comfort-level" parameter, but IMO this result overlaps two others.

it's remarkably hard to find comparisons on old-fashioned, boring
metrics like latency, backplane bandwidth/pps or mtbf.

every for-cisco decision I've ever seen has been based on the first
category of parameters.