[Beowulf] filesystem metadata mining tools

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Sun Sep 13 12:48:23 EDT 2009

Ashley Pittman wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 10:10 -0500, Rahul Nabar wrote:
>
>> *A distribution of file age and prevelance (to know how much of this
>> material is archivable). Same for frequency of access; i.e. maybe the last
>> access stamp.
>>

> I thought access stamps were a thing of the past and everyone ran with
> "noatime" these days?
>
> Ashley.

Are there any studies showing the overhead of atime updates? I've heard
anecdotal evidence saying that it makes a big difference, and the same
going the other way. FWIW, you can disable atime updates on a per-file
basis in Linux and FreeBSD using chattr.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/