[Beowulf] NFS server for a small cluster

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Thu Sep 10 00:10:23 EDT 2009

Mark Hahn wrote:
> extra ram doesn't help a fileserver much except when you can read-cache
> effectively (either file contents or metadata.)  I wouldn't sweat cache
> size, and probably not ram size either (unless your working set really
> is < 8GB.)

One thing extra RAM can buy a file server is aggregating writes into
contiguous blocks. I'm not sure what the sweet spot as far as RAM size
is, and I suspect strongly that the effect is dependent on the number
and size of your files, so your YMMV.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/