[Beowulf] any creative ways to crash Linux?: does a shared NIC IMPI always remain responsive?

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Tue Oct 27 09:13:02 EDT 2009

Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com> writes:

> (I know Joe Landman and others had warned me against this but I tried
> to start with configuring a single shared NIC and then go for two
> NICs. Just keeping things simple to start with.)

Using shared NICs is the *complicated* alternative. You are exposing
yourself to a lot of potential weird effects.

I prefer having the IPMI stuff on a separate NIC that is not only
dedicated, but also totally unreachable from the host OS. If somebody
roots a node, they shouldn't get access to the IPMI network.

--
                               / Swedish National Infrastructure for Computing
Leif Nixon - Security officer <  National Supercomputer Centre