[Beowulf] any creative ways to crash Linux?: does a shared NIC IMPI always remain responsive?

David N. Lombard dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Mon Oct 26 14:53:54 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:18:33AM -0700, Hearns, John wrote:

> Wow! I didn't realize that the BMC was again running a full blown Linux
> distro!

Well, "running Linux" is very different from "running a full blown Linux".  For
example, I have a kernel, initrd, dhcp, shell, ability to mount file systems,
kexec, ssh, and a boot loader in about 1.28MiB that I can flash onto a platform
flash.

BTW, that userland is provided by busybox, kexec-tools, and Dropbear-SSH.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.