[Beowulf] Build a Beowulf Cluster

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Sat Oct 24 17:21:02 EDT 2009

> anyone could help me explaning how to build a beowulf cluster?

find or set up some networked linux machines, preferably with a shared
filesystem. install a scheduler to manage jobs.  run some tests.  done.

> An web site, a list of parameters anything updated. Cause i only found in the
> internet posts that are really old.

that's because none of the fundamentals have changed.  today's tight-coupled
MPI system will be based on IB; otherwise usually just gigabit.
for memory-bandwidth-intensive applications, choose nehalem.
software stacks are not much changed (pbs/torque/sge, maybe some advantage
for openmpi over mpich).  there's no beowulf-based reason to choose one
distro over another.