[Beowulf] Any industry-standards that allow automated BIOS modifications and dumping? IPMI cannot do it, can it?

Gregory Matthews greg.matthews at diamond.ac.uk
Thu Oct 22 11:11:52 EDT 2009

Rahul Nabar wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Gregory wrote:
>> Rahul Nabar wrote:
>>> (1) Can't do a Serial-on-LAN (SOL); My Dell server needs a special
>>> card (read more money) for this function. That is unfortunate.
>> are you sure? have you tried using lanplus instead of lan? (e.g. use
>> ipmitool -I lanplus) Never had this problem with our bog-standard dells.
> I get this error:
> ipmitool -H -I lanplus -U root sol activate
> Password:
> Error loading interface lanplus

did you compile ipmitool yourself? it might be the libcrypto linking
issue described not very satisfactorily here:

perhaps you compiled it without ssl support? It certainly looks like a
client side issue rather than hardware.

> Any clue what this might be? How can I get the lanplus interface
> loaded? Is this a driver issue or does this mean that my BMC does not
> have a lanplus interface at all.
> The LAN interface does work file but apparantly "sol activate" needs lanplus.
> ipmitool -H -I lan -U root sol activate
> Error: This command is only available over the lanplus interface

Greg Matthews            01235 778658
Senior Computer Systems Administrator
Diamond Light Source, Oxfordshire, UK