[Beowulf] Best Practices SOL vs Cyclades ACS

Marian Marinov mm at yuhu.biz
Sat Oct 10 01:33:23 EDT 2009

On Saturday 10 October 2009 08:09:45 Mark Hahn wrote:
> > We have more then 400 machines. Every month there is one machine that we
> > can not reboot using IPMI or the SOL is not working.
> we have something like 2500 nodes, mostly HP dl145g2's, and have a
> BMC-wedge probably 6-12 times/year.  can I ask what brand/model has such
> flakey IPMI? if you run "ipmi mc reset" on the node, does it resolve the
> problem? I wonder whether flakiness might also correspond to some config or
> usage pattern.  (ours dhcp from a local server - actually all the traffic
> is local.)

These are only Dell machines used for shared hosting.

Usually these problem appear when there is DoS/DDoS or very high system
resource usage(for example load over 100 on machine with 4 cores).

Our problem is that in such situations IPMI sometimes is unreliable as you can
not connect on serial nor reboot the machine.

Best regards,
Marian Marinov