[Beowulf] Re: recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room:fullcluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Huw Lynes lynesh at Cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Oct 9 04:23:06 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 15:55 -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 05:08:54PM -0500, Rahul Nabar wrote:
> > So, hopefully I will have very little need for IPMI (remote power
> > cycling is great though; those network aware power distribution stics
> > seem great).
> You haven't mentioned the other things you can use IPMI for.
> 1) Console logging. Your machine just crashed. No clue in
> /var/log/messages. "I wonder if it printed something on the console?"
> Answer: ipmi and conman (available in an rpm in Red Hat distros).

IPMI is also handy for initiating crash dumps via NMI. Useful for
finding out why that machine went zombie when there is nothing in the
SOL console logging.

Huw Lynes                       | Advanced Research Computing
HEC Sysadmin                    | Cardiff University
                                | Redwood Building,
Tel: +44 (0) 29208 70626        | King Edward VII Avenue, CF10 3NB