[Beowulf] Best Practices SOL vs Cyclades ACS

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Oct 7 21:36:04 EDT 2009

Rich Sudlow wrote:
> In the past we've used cyclades console servers for serial
> interfaces into our cluster nodes.
> We're replacing 360 nodes which couldn't do SOL with 360
> which could.
> Now that we can do SOL is that a better to use that instead of the
> Cyclades?
> Thoughts?

Every now and then IPMI gets wedged.  We have seen it on all IPMI
stacks.  When IPMI gets wedged, SOL stops working.

I recommend redundant administrative pathways ... make sure you can get
to and control the machine in the event of a problem.  Some pathways may
not be as cost effective at scale than others.

> Rich

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics, Inc.