[Beowulf] Home Beowulf

Dmitry Zaletnev dzaletnev at yandex.ru
Mon Oct 5 07:19:37 EDT 2009

Hello, list,
I just thinking about a 2-nodes Beowulf for a CFD application that reads/writes small amounts of data in random areas of RAM (non-cached translation). What would be the difference in overall performance (I suppose, due to the memory access time) between Q9650/ 8 GB DDR2-800 and i7 920/ 6 GB DDR3-1866. By the way, are local variables of methods/functions stored in L2 cache? The code will use all the system memory for data storage, excluding used by OS, no swapping supposed. I'm going to buy motherboards next month.

Thank you in advance for any advice,
--
Dmitry Zaletnev