[Beowulf] recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room: full cluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 12:54:27 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Skylar Thompson <skylar at cs.earlham.edu> wrote:

>> THanks Joe! I've been reading about IPMI and also talking to my vendor
>> about it. Sure, our machines also have IPMI support!
>> Question: What's the difference between SOL and IPMI. Is one a subset
>> of the other?
> SOL is provided by IPMI v1.5+, so it's a part of IPMI itself.

Last two days I was playing with ipmitool to connect to the machines.
Is this the typical tool or do people have any other open source
sugesstions to use.

ipmitool seems to have a rich set of features for querying the BMC's
etc. but I didn't see many SOL sections. Is ipmitool what people use
to watch a redirected console as well or anything else? I couldn't
find any good SOL howtos or tutorials on google other than the
vendor-specific ones. ANy pointers?

I did find this one from a fellow Beowulfer but this seems quite dated now.....