[Beowulf] Fortran Array size question

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Tue Nov 3 20:27:22 EST 2009

Michael H. Frese wrote:
> I think Gus has it right.  Your two arrays are 200 million floating
> point words each, perhaps 8 bytes per word, and therefore are
> approximately about 3  gigabytes total.
>
> That's too big for the default 'small' memory model.
>
> Certainly, there are no limits to array sizes in Fortran.
If you need a 64bit Fortran compiler ping me off list. (PathScale not
iFort of course)  I was working with some extremely large code a few
months ago and one of our engineers could probably polish up my patch
and send out test binaries to anyone interested.  All we would ask for
in this specific case is feedback.

<marketing>Our performance on floating point code should be better than
Intel's.  If you find to the contrary that's a bug we're happy to
address</marketing>

./C