[Beowulf] Finally, a solution for the 64 core 4TB RAM market

Franz Marini franz.marini at mi.infn.it
Thu May 28 14:26:01 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 16:45 +0200, Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:
> > nehalem-ex sounds exciting, but it kind of spoils the effect if it
> > really won't hit the streets till sometime in 2010.
>
> 2010 is not so far away anymore, and Nehalem-EX will probably be there before
> Tukwila anyways. It feels like this announcement is a way for Intel to make
> the Itanium branch less and less appealing.

Given that JuRoPa (the new cluster at the Juelich Supercomputing Centre
(JSC) : http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/juropa ) is scheduled to be in
production by the end of June, I would say that is more than probable
that at least for selected (read: really high profile) customers
Nehalem-EX (and in particular the X5570 model) are already available
(and probably already shipped and installed).

By the way, JuRoPa-JSC (the bigger of the two clusters by which JuRoPa
will be composed) is expected to have a peak performance of about 207
TFlops placing it at the 12th position in the TOP500 Nov '08 list, just
before the (now old) JUGENE (which will be upgraded to 72 racks by the
end of June, thus giving it a peak performance of about 1 PFlops, up
from about 225 TFlops now, not bad ;)).

So I expect large scale availability sometime in Q4 '09...

F.

Franz Marini
Prof. R. A. Broglia Theoretical Physics of Nuclei,
      Atomic Clusters and Proteins Research Group
Dept. of Physics, University of Milan, Italy.
web   : http://merlino.mi.infn.it/proteins/
email : franz.marini at mi.infn.it
phone : +39 02 50317226