[Beowulf] recommendations for cluster upgrades

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Wed May 13 19:22:39 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Greg Keller <Greg at keller.net> wrote:
> AMD Barcelona was the first 4 flops per cycle processor from AMD, and it hit
> the street with some problems right when the list was coming out in end of
> 2007.

That's interesting. What kind of "problems"? Do CPU designers mess up
and leave bugs on too?  I heard of an old Intel floating point error
but nothing else. Do later versions of CPUs get these bugfixes? Or are
CPU designs pretty static until they come out with a new proc number /
proc line?

It might change my perspective on the risks of going for a "brand new" CPU.

--
Rahul