[Beowulf] recommendations for cluster upgrades

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Wed May 13 09:46:30 EDT 2009

Yes, more work needs to be done to determine the quality and quantity
of benefit.  I do think increasing the number of core power states (including
a complete power off state),  offering core-independent power management,
and the ability to up-clock some cores while downing others allows for
much finer dynamic control of power use.  This is of course being done at
45 nm too.  It's early and the implied benefits on systems that are running
flat-out most or all of the time, which is the objective the objective of HPC
workload managers may be limited.  Better benchmarks are needed as
well.

The two lines that you extracted from my message imply that I think the
PCU by itself is a "dramatic leap forward for Intel."  This was not my
intent.  Nehalem in total is however ... even if it largely adopts the design
standards AMD introduced 3 or 4 years ago.

Regards,

rbw