[Beowulf] evaluating FLOPS capacity of our cluster

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:37:45 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Gus Correa <gus at ldeo.columbia.edu> wrote:
> Theoretical maximum Gflops (Rpeak in Top500 parlance), for instance,
> on cluster with AMD quad-core 2.3GHz processor
> is:
>
> 2.3 GHz x
> 4 floating point operations/cycle x
> 4 cores/CPU socket x
> number of CPU sockets per node x
> number of nodes.

Excellent. Thanks Gus. That sort of estimate is exactly what I needed.
I do have AMD Athelons.

In fact, this is super usefule for some of our oldest legacy hardware
too. We used to just use Dell Desktops clustered together. I have
easily accessible all the other info. that goes into your equation.
Except the floating point operations / cycle numbers.

Let me dig those out.

Thanks!

--
Rahul