[Beowulf] newbie

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Sat May 2 20:06:53 EDT 2009

Chris Samuel wrote:
> In the sense that they have no desire to support
> competitors hardware, yes. Not really surprising,

Sure, they could be nice enough to have a flag to disable the check for
non-intel cpus.  That way intel could avoid the cost of testing/certification
of AMD cpus and folks that want to take the risk could.  There is a binary
floating around that patches binaries to avoid the check.  Improvements were
on the order of 0-15% I believe, nobody reported wrong answers as a result.

> if AMD made compilers I doubt they'd try and do
> Intel specific optimisations either..

Well the issue wasn't intel not doing AMD specific optimizations, it was intel
enabling optimizations that would benefit both CPUs, only when running on intel.