[Beowulf] GPU diagnostics?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Mon Mar 30 13:45:17 EDT 2009

Joe Landman wrote:
> Vendors have an nVidia supplied *GEMM based burn in test.  Been thinking
> about a set of diagnostics end users can run as a sanity check.

My suspicion is that vendors run such burn in tests only for a very
brief time.  That time being "the minimum time required to find the
percentage of failed units above which it would cost us more if they
were found to be bad in the field" - and not a second longer.  Finding
marginal memory, certainly one of the easier tests, can easily take 24
hours of testing.  Somehow I cannot imagine vendors spending quite that
long burning in a graphics card.  Well, maybe a top of the line pro
card, but certainly not your run of the mill $39 budget card.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu