[Beowulf] running hot?

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 19 12:34:39 EDT 2009

are you running your machinerooms warm to save power on cooling?

if so, could you pass on anything you learned about, for instance,
whether this degrades the lifespan of components?  I guess the
first issue is how to ensure that any thermostatic fans in the nodes
don't freak out.  can this be done using ACPI?  I suppose it depends
on what controls the bios exposes (our HP DL's don't appear to offer
much control.)  I'm also very interested to know whether you have
hard data on how much power/money this saves.  anyone omitting chillers
entirely and using filtered outside air?

thanks, mark hahn.