[Beowulf] No guards on 1u server fans - common practice?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Mar 13 09:20:59 EDT 2009

stephen mulcahy wrote:

> Is this really poor design (the server vendor shall go nameless though
> they are a tier-1) or am I expecting too much out of 1u server fans?

We had a supplier that liked to avoid putting the guards on the fans.

It's generally not a good thing ...  there is injury risk as well other
issues (possible electrical shorts for cut wires, fan self destruction
due to impacts ... and subsequent shrapnel ...)

Whenever possible, we like to try to route wires away from the fans, or
if we have no choice due to length constraints, we will try to tie them
to rigid structures to prevent interference.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com